Friday, December 29, 2006

Ken's Transport Money

I think that Colin Hall was a bit ungracious (Sutton Guardian page 4, 28 December) to Ken Livingstone over the £4.5 million Sutton has hjust received from the GLA on top of the £5 million we got from Ken in October.

I vaguely recall that quite a few more people voted for Ken than Colin. If Colin has a problem no doubt Lord Tope and his Lib Dem colleages in the London Assembly can raise their concerns.

I am sure Colin doesn't think we should go back to the bad old days when much less money was allocated to us by Civil Servants in the Department of Transport!!

Next we will here cheap shots from the Lib Dems attacking the Londoner magazine whilst defending themselves from Tory attacks on Sutton Scene magazine. Not very consistent?? As is well known I consistently support the provsion of both publications as well as the publications produced Tory controlled Croydon and Merton Councils.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do not give the impression that "Ken's Transport Money" is the generous personal gift of Ken Livingstone. All money allocated by the GLA is taxation raised from hard-working individuals. We demand that it is used effectively and not just to glorify the megalomaniac mayor.

11:03 am, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Mansell said...

I know Ken made a few quid from his 80's cheese adverts, book publishing and his Evening Standard column, but I think I did say the money was GLA money.

My point was that he has the powers conferred by legislation and the largest personal mandate of any politican in the country to make these sort of decisions. I should add I would have said exactly the same if it was Steve Norris doling out the money. I do have a long record of being rather consitent on these sort of things, just as I defend the right for Tory Council's like Croydon to have a magazine to promote the work of the Council.

I find it a little disappointing that people can't get the hang of the various roles that different tiers of governance have, whether it is the EU, the UK Parliament, the GLA and the Local Council. I am a fan of the concept of urban parishes, but I wouldn't criticise the borough Council if it attached strings to any additional money it contributed to a future urban parish.

3:53 pm, December 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home