Monday, July 17, 2006

Council - 24 July - Preview

Just a few early comments:

Item 6. Review of 2005/06
I hope that Councillors will be able to comment or ask questions on this item? This would make items like this quite useful. Perhaps the Council could invite other key members of the Sutton Partnership (eg, PCT and Police) to also present reports in due course.

Item 7. Committee Recommendations

a) Minute 658 - Safecall Mobile Response Service Tender
I now can't remember why the Tories requisitioned this? Was it about the cost or tendering process? It looked ok to me, but I look forward to hearing their reasoning.

b) Minute 664 - Proposed Area Action Plan for Sutton Town Centre
I disagree with the Tories (who requisitioned this) and have no problem with spending what is after all Section 106 monies on this. However, I think we really have to consider whether all the fuss over Tramlink is worth the bother. After all it is frightfully expensive and we could see much more bus infrastructure at a much smaller price. Bus services are also much quicker to develop. I also think Sutton residents voted in 2006 for efficient services not grand projects and local politicians should ignore that at their peril. The other fundamental reason is that Tramlink will also lead to greater planning pressures in the centre of Sutton. In other words you can't argue for Tramlink for the town centre without accepting greater housing density! I am not sure the Lib Dems are prepared to accept the latter, thus it might be better to spend any money after the study confirms this point, on simply subsidizing a few more bus routes instead of going on about a grand project that will contradict other policies in the Lib Dem manifesto.

c) Planning Core Strategy
My comments above indicate that actions in one area (transport) affect another area (planning), so it is good we have both items on the Council Meeting agenda. I welcome the consideration of the three broad development options and I hope there is a initial debate on this issue. I will be producing a more detailed comment on this document over the summer break.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

12:56 am, August 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

4:18 am, August 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home